4/02/2011

Eggstra Eggs!

I made a trip to Costco today. The cupboards were so bare that the kids were eating cans of olives! My list was long because in addition to "the usuals," I was also picking up quite a few "extras." The boys are home this week, thanks to Spring Vacation, and that means there will be constant grazing between meals for the next 8 days. I love growing boys-- but they sure do eat A LOT! Anyway.... I was in the dairy section at Costco, debating over whether to pick up one or two cartons of 18-count eggs. I am planning on doing a lot of baking this week, hard-boiled eggs are a great high-protein, diet-friendly snack for myself and the boys, too, and if all goes according to plan- I will be serving up a hot breakfast each morning since we aren't rushing out the door to school. The decision consumed a good five minutes of my shopping experience, until I finally realized there was barely room in my cart to keep one carton safe, let alone two! It was a good decision because when I got home, Dennis greeted me at the door saying, "I hope you didn't buy eggs?" I assumed that he had found an extra carton or two in the garage fridge~ it's not uncommon for me to forget about the items I stash out there and this wouldn't be the first time I added an item to an abundant supply. But that's not what he was referring to. He'd been watching the hen house closely this week, and today, he was surprised to find the treasure of 21 eggs! We now have 39 eggs in our refrigerator with more on the way, of course! Looks like I'll be searching for "egg recipes" and in the meantime, baking angel food cakes, making omelets, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, creamed eggs....

No comments:

Post a Comment